Monday, January 18, 2010

Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis providesan interesting take on goodness and evil. I think that evil exists in Metamorphosis, but not because the characters mean to be evil, but because they do not know any better. I think that Gregor's family is evil, because when he transforms into a bug, they basically just leave him behind. It seems like they would have continued to take care of Gregor. At first his sister made some attempt to take care of him, but eventually they just forgot about him. The Samsa family seems more distraught that Gregor cannot take care of them anymore then the fact that he has transformed into a bug. To me, that is evil. But I do not think that they are intentionally evil.

I see goodness in Gregor, even after he is transformed into a bug. I think it was good of him to realize that he was holding his family back when he was a bug. Gregor needed to pass to let his family move on. While it is horrible that the one that carried the weight of the family ends up holding them back, I still think it was necessary for Gregor to become a bug in order for his family to have a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment